Development Labs — Centre for Public Policy and Governance at Tata Institute of Social Sciences
The Development Labs has been a pioneering think-tank on corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainable development in India for the last six years. The Development Labs works with multiple stakeholders, the state, industry, community, NGOs and all other development sector players, to achieve our common goals of people-centric development. Housed at Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), a deemed centrally funded public university that has always worked for social justice, equality, dignity and rights of the marginalized, the Development Labs follows the value framework of the institution.
As part of its mandate, TISS has been instrumental in giving policy inputs on the development of frameworks, guidelines and laws pertaining Development Labs to the Government of India. The Hub views CSR work as an instrument to supplement government efforts in nation building. It provides strategic direction to corporations for effective use of their CSR funds using a convergence approach. Other than evidence based research informing policies and practices of CSR, one of the foremost areas of focus for the Development Labs has been in the capacity building of NGOs and implementing agencies. The capacity building of implementing agencies is crucial for CSR to achieve desired programme effectiveness and also contribute towards creating a more professionalised and accountable development sector in India.
At the heart of what we do
The Development Labs — Centre for Public Policy and Governance, TISS, undertakes research, awareness building and policy advocacy that enables businesses to empower people – socially and economically, thus facilitating inclusive and equitable growth.
- Best CSR practices
- Define indicators for assessing tools and frameworks
- Facilitate convergence among policies and programmes
- Bridge effectively among companies, policy making bodies and implementation mechanism.
The Hub supports individual companies in their CSR plans, helps them navigate the thicket of the social sector space and provides consultation through the team of faculty experts of various social domains.
- Identification of Needs Assessment
- Financial social audit of CSR expenditure
- Monitoring and Evaluation framework
- Reporting, milestone identification and strategy assessment
The Hub enables organisations to carry out their CSR initiatives effectively and constantly monitors projects for maximum impact by building capacities through formal training in partnership with agencies and institutions across the country.
- Governance of CSR initiatives
- PrograCustomized capacity building modules
- Partner identification and evaluation
- Employee and organisational stakeholder engagement
The Hub aims to develop a database of various kinds of development organizations with whom the TISS community at large can interact to create an environment of mutual learning.
- Around 600 NGOs emapnelled NGOs from varied sectoral and geographical areas
- Programme support and capacity building
- Collaborations to meet CSR funding
- Opportunities for knowledge and technology transfer
This initiative by the Hub, is a step in bridging skills, knowledge, relationship and resource gaps between the Corporate and the Not for Profits.
- Connecting CSR firms with flagship development projects
- A repository of innovative projects sustainable, and outcome oriented social development projects
The Hub has been working to uplift communities across India, to give a leg up to those who need assistance, to finance dreams that change lives and adopt missions that are altering the way the world is shaping tomorrow.
The Development Labs — Centre for Public Policy and Governance at TISS with GSL, extended support to The Sateri Collective Farming Cooperative Society.
At Development Labs — Centre for Public Policy and Governance we value and understand the needs of our corporate partners like Coal India Ltd (CIL).
Want to Work With Us?
The Hub acts as a bridge between public enterprises (including PSUs) and credible NGOs in India.